If you are tired of manual cleaning and the constant vacuum required to keep the pool clean in summer, then an automatic pool skimmer will be the ideal solution. An automatic pool skimmer can be a good way to reduce the time it takes to maintain the pool. These automatic pool skimmers will save you time and effort by keeping your pool ready for when the sun comes out and, in some cases, reducing the load on your pump and filter. The swimming pool allows you to enjoy it more.
So spend less time on routine maintenance and more time enjoying your backyard oasis with the help of a pool cleaner. Sometimes, your pool doesn’t need a full cleaning; you just want to clean out the surface stuff. After all, there’s a lot of things that can fall into your swimming pool like leaves, dust, bugs, and more. This is why you’ll want to get an automatic pool skimmer.
An automatic pool skimmer picks up large debris like leaves, acorns, and bugs. It complements the existing pool skimmer or pool filter. You can also use it alongside an automatic pool cleaner. A good swim pool skimmer also helps you keep all the nasty leaves and debris out of your in-ground or above-ground pool. It makes skimming water an effortless task. With all the unsightly, potentially unhealthy scum gone, your pump will work so much more efficiently.
However, since there are several types available, it may be difficult to find the best brand for your swimming pool. We have used dozens of such oil skimmers and selected four of the most popular pool skimmers.
|PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner||Buy On Amazon|
|SkimmerMotion Automatic Pool Cleaner, Skimmer & Clarifier||Buy On Amazon|
|SkimDoctor 2.0 Pool Skimmer Basket Turbocharger||Buy On Amazon|
|Dunnrite Hydro-Net Remote Controlled Pool Skimmer||Buy On Amazon|
Our Top Picks
The best pool skimmers can be powerful additions for keeping the pool clean and prolonging its shelf life. Here are the best pool skimmers, no matter the size or type of pool you have. They are different types of pool skimmers to meet all your needs.
1. PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner
A swimming pool is an expensive investment, but it’s also an investment that’s meant to be enjoyed. However, when you’re the one who is tasked with the job of cleaning the pool, pool time eventually feels like chore time. Reclaim more of your downtime with the PoolSkim Pool Skimmer by PoolSkim USA.
Designed for use in all swimming pools except soft-side pools, the PoolSkim attaches to any of your pool’s return jets, channeling the movement of fluid to automatically collect fine and coarse debris from the waterline. In turn, the pool’s water stays clean, and the pool’s filtration system works with greater efficiency.
The PoolSkim is easy to install, and it comes with all the necessary hardware. It only takes a few minutes to remove the collection bag when you need to empty its contents. Thanks to PoolSkim USA’s use of durable materials, this skimmer will last you for years, and it works in small and large swimming pools.
It is not just automatic robots that can help keep a pool clean. The PoolSkim Pool Skimmer doesn’t even move and it manages to do the job.
Furthermore, PoolSkim is the winner of the international pool cleaning awards!
- Connects To a Standard Return Jet: You can use the PoolSkim skimmer by attaching it to a return jet with a 1.5-inch outflow to utilize the flow of water that shoots into your swimming pool.
- Assembling the skimmer: All the components you need to put together the skimmer are included. Once the skimmer is connected to the return jet, you don’t have to do anything else besides clean the collection net. Since this is an automatic pool skimmer, it adjusts to the current water level.
- Venturi Effect: Similar to how air moves the gasoline in a carburetor, this pool skimmer uses the motion of the water that comes out of your pool’s jet to pull debris toward the skimmer. To increase the water flow’s speed, the tube it moves through has a narrow area that reduces pressure, which is called the Venturi effect.
- This over-200-years-old physics principle is how the PoolSkim collects debris without human intervention.
- Tough Materials: You won’t find any flimsy parts on this skimmer. The frame of the PoolSkim and its hardware are made of PVC and polyurethane, both of which provide durable and long-lasting performance.
- Easy Maintenance: In order to get back to having fun in your swimming pool as fast as possible, the skimmer is equipped with adjustable clamps that quickly unscrews, so you can remove the mesh bag.
- No power consumption: No batteries and no power cords are needed for this device. The effect is purely mechanical and will keep on functioning without input
2. SkimmerMotion Automatic Pool Cleaner, Skimmer & Clarifier
The SkimmerMotion is our premium choice automatic pool skimmer. This device works in conjunction with the vacuum to double up on cleaning. It requires the purchase of a pool vacuum, so it can be a little more expensive than the others by the time you have all the parts, but it is extremely efficient. You can plug it directly into the output line of your pool, but it will reduce its effectiveness considerably.
The SkimmerMotion spins, creating a whirlpool action that pulls in nearby debris as it’s dragged around the pool by the vacuum. It is fun to watch, and it can help reduce the frequency at which you need to add chemicals to your pool.
The pool skimmer from SkimmerMotion offers excellent cleaning for above-ground and in-ground pools. Also, the skimmer has excellent suction that magnetizes all the dust and debris while keeping your swimming pool crystal clean.
What I like about it is that this is highly compatible with most pool suction cleaners, and is designed and made in the US. The downside with this particular model is it piggybacks on the suction from your pool cleaner, so it’s not as effective as some of your other options.
- Offers Comprehensive Cleaning: The buyers can attach this pool skimmer with the pool vacuum provided by SkimmerMotion for thorough cleaning from post-to-pillars. The hose gets easily attached, and thus you can rest assured that the machine will clean your entire pool.
- 8 Water Intakes: The pool skimmer has eight water intakes, so the amount of water flowing through them will be more.
- Works Without Power: If you are using the skimmer without a vacuum, then there is no electricity required.
- No Chemicals Required: There is no need to use any harsh chemicals with SkimmerMotion. It cleanses your pool by trapping all the impurities in its mesh.
- Easy To Install: Installing SkimmerMotion is an easy task, and the users can carry it out on the go. All you need to do is connect the skimmer with the return jet hose, and it will work flawlessly.
3. SkimDoctor 2.0 Pool Skimmer Basket Turbocharger
The patented SkimDoctor Turbocharger automatically cleans your pool up to 3X faster so you can enjoy crystal-clear water without a lot of maintenance. The adjustable gates on the SkimDoctor allow you to control the flow of water based on the size of your pump, whether it’s a low flow or a variable speed pump.
Unlike most products, the SkimDoctor sits inside your inground pool skimmer basket so you don’t have to look at it. Cleanup is quick with the fine mesh internal skimmer sock, which catches everything from big leaves and bugs to find pollen and dust. You don’t have to get your hands wet or dirty. Installation takes less than 5 minutes with no special tools. The SkimDoctor fits most inground pool baskets on the market today, including Hayward and Pentair. And the chemical-resistant and corrosion-resistant fittings mean a long life for your SkimDoctor.
The SkimDoctor 2.0 easily attaches to any inground pool skimmer basket and instantly turbocharges the suction power of your skimmer creating a vortex system to draw more debris into your skimmer basket – up to 3 times faster, while also tripling basket capacity! If you have a variable speed pump it’s perfect for when using low-speed modes because you can adjust it for low levels of suction. This skimmer suction turbocharger is compatible with most all inground skimmer baskets and installs in minutes.
- Inner Slots In The Tube: The product features slots in the inner side that help to speed up the surface water flow – where the leaves and bugs are found.
- Bernoulli Principle: One thing to note is the water volume does not change when moving from the two channels at any given time; it is only the speed that increases. That phenomenon is known as the Bernoulli principle, and it explains why the water flows faster when the path narrows due to rocks and other things.
- Draws Debris Quickly: Most of the debris is located on the water surface. SkimDoctor boosts the surface water speed to ensure that the leaves and bugs get drawn quickly to the skimmer basket.
- Easy 5-minute Assembly: The SkimDoctor 2.0 fits inside your inground pool skimmer basket and requires no special tools for installation. Adjustable gates are used to improve the performance of low flow OR variable speed pool pumps. Chemical and corrosion-resistant fittings ensure a long lifespan.
- Fewer Pool Chemicals Needed: By improving water circulation and enhancing the functionality of your inground pool vacuum, SkimDoctor 2.0 decreases the need for chemicals in your swimming pool.
4. Dunnrite Hydro-Net Remote Controlled Pool Skimmer
The Dunnrite Hydro-Net Automatic pool skimmer is the only brand on this list operated by remote control. You can operate it from up to 100 feet away, and it will work well in any type of pool or even a small pond. All debris is captured in a net as the device moves over the surface of the water. It’s a battery-powered skimmer, and each charge will last up to five hours.
The Dunnrite Hydro-Net RC pool skimmer turns hard work into painless entertainment while it cleans your pond or pool. Get those hard-to-reach places easily with a touch of remote control and have fun doing it. With a 100-Feet remote control range, quickly and easily skim your pool with the remote-controlled Hydro-Net.
- Remove Debris: Dunnrite Hydro-Net is an automatic pool skimmer you can use to remove bugs, leaves, and other debris from your swimming pools.
- Battery: The model comes with the NI-MH battery to provide power for a prolonged duration, and it charges fast. You can clean the pool for about five hours when the battery is full.
- Battery and Charger: You get both the battery and the charger when you purchase this skimmer for cleaning your facility.
- Remote Control: Its remote control allows you to skim your pool when up to 100 feet away. That remote has an excellent menu that programs the system.
- Easy Set-Up: The skimmer net is easily inserted and removed by simply lifting it from the top of the boat.
Considering everything needed for the best pool skimmer, our recommendation for most pool owners is to buy the PoolSkim Pool Skimmer. One of the most durable products on the market, it works to catch all manner of floating debris, and with the addition of a nylon pool sock to the filter, you’ll even be able to remove fine particles and dirt from your water.
To Sum Up
It makes sense to get the best pool skimmers for your swimming pool instead of cleaning it multiple times or seeking a professional cleaning service. They help to clear out all every floating mess from the water within an hour or so.
There’s no shortage of options when it comes to automatic pool skimmers. From solar-powered models to simple wall-mounted skimmers, there’s something for every type of pool and budget.